Learning to Live on the Rock

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:7


If I told you that I'm one hundred percent confident in my relationship with God, I'd be a liar. If I told you that God has made me do a complete one eighty, I'd be a liar. If I told you that there aren't moment that I doubt Him, I'd be a liar. Learning to walk with God on a daily basis takes time. I have my moments.

Recently, I had to take my name off of the lease that I signed for my apartment. Long story short, I got a couple of knives thrown in my back for what feels like the hundredth time. Once again, I felt my faith shake beneath my feet. It wasn't because I lost my living situation for sophomore year, but because once again, somebody that I cared for left me to hang. The more that people hurt me, the lower my self esteem goes, and the more I start to feel a form of depression creep up. Sometimes it feels like people genuinely don't care.

Today, I have found peace in a verse that my Bible study leader sent to me upon hearing what happened:

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." -Matthew 7:24

Today I learned that people and worldly pleasures are like sand in a storm. If you build your house upon the sand, it will slip out from underneath you when it rains. If you build your house upon a rock instead, your house will stay intact. God is our rock and we need to build our faith and dependency upon Him.

Don't get me wrong. If somebody is in your life for the long haul then you are truly blessed! It is wonderful to find love. It is never bad, however, to have something that is undeniably permanent; God's love.

Are you living on the rock or the sand?


2 comments:

  1. How true sweetie, and you are NOT alone. Many of times God has opened my eyes to the truth that I was relying on a person's approval or affection too much, I was seeking their love, when my purpose is to love and honor my Lord. Trust in Him alone. Though it is a daily walk, you will be blessed when you set your gaze not on this world, but the Kingdom.

    Oh, and He will provide for your needs, so your friendships... well, they will go through restoration or new ones will blossom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elise!!!

    Just hopped over from Katie's blog (Cutting Back Kitchen)....she is my favorite blogger (and my niece!!!!!)

    Just wanted to give you a word of encouragement in your new walk with the Lord...and let you know that there will be people prayin' for ya!!! Isn't it funny how you are part of a family and have never even met SO many of your brothers and sisters in Christ????

    Katie is a wonderful person...and I'm sure will be there for you and help you in any way she can!!!

    In every situation always remember Proverbs 3:5....there are times and things we will never understand here in this world...we just have to keep trusting Him...and know that SOMEDAY....when we see HIM....we will FINALLY understand all of it!!!!

    You Stay Blessed now.....

    Cherie
    (Katie's Most Favorite Aunt in the World)

    ReplyDelete